Apply For Change of Name

  1. To legally change your name in Kenya, a deed poll needs to be registered.
  2. Gazettement-The deed poll has to be gazetted, and it is only after that that one will acquire new identification documents bearing the new name.
  3. As a matter of practice amongst other documents one will be required to provide the following:
    • Copy of ID
    • Original Birth Certificate
    • Letter from the area chief
    • Finger print printout
    • Deed poll and affidavit to which shall be attached certain requisite documents
    • A Statutory Declaration of Identification by a witness who has known you for at least 10 years
  4. The deed poll is then registered with the Registrar of Documents.
  5. After the registration of the deed poll, the change of your name will be gazetted in the Gazette by the Registrar of Persons.
  6. After gazettement of the change of name one must apply for a new ID card.
910 James Gichuru Road,
Nairobi., Nrb 00100